Instructions to install our Exterior Smart Meter Shielding Kit.
To download these instructions, click here.
Locate the Smart Meter on the outside wall of your home and install the kit as described below:
1) Locate your smart meter, Figure 1
2) Clean and dry the exterior of the glass, especially on the bottom. Use only a damp cloth.
3) Peel the adhesive backing and position the double sided self-adhesive tape on 4 spots around the glass as shown in Figure 2.
4) Position and adhere the shielding mesh onto the double sided self-adhesive tape as shown in Figure 3.
5) Wrap the shielding mesh snugly around the meter glass. Make sure the fabric extends all the way to the metal housing. Do not leave an uncovered gap where the meter glass meets its metal housing. Depending on the smart meter diameter, the mesh may overlap itself. See Figure 4.
6) Wrap the EMF/RF Shielding Tape around the mesh for added protection (see Figure 8). Be sure to tape up to the metal ring around the glass. See Figure 5.
9) Connect one end of the ground cord to the shield and the other to a convenient place on the metal smart meter housing. see Figures 6, 7 and 8. It must be connected to an unpainted surface so scrape off a little paint if required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once Shield is installed, can our utility company still read our meter?
Yes, the design of this shield allows the utility company to receive your energy usage readings remotely and by direct visual inspection.
Is it illegal to put the shield on a Smart Meter?
No, it is not illegal to put this shield on your smart meter. It is illegal to break the glass or security seal on your smart meter. Please do not
Will the utility company take it off?
No, usually not. Utility companies don't usually care what you do to the smart meters as long as you:
- Dont break the glass or security seal… - Dont prevent them from receiving their signal… - Dont block the access to their meter.
Can I measure the shielding performance?
Yes, definitely. You will need a suitable RF meter such as the Acoustimeter or High Frequency Meter (see https://2ground.com/collections/rf-meters).
Set the meter in a fixed position and monitor the radiation output from your smart meter. Without moving your RF meter, install the shield
and see the difference in your meter readings. Note! The RF meter should be positioned to the side of the smart meter and should be far
enough away that the RF meter does not exceed its maximum range.
Now, the radiation will be reflected back to the outside of your home instead of hitting you and your Family members.
(Instructions with images and video showing the effective RF blocking properties and RF meter readings will be added to the website soon).